Mountain Trainin Picture

Mountain Trainin Picture

Friday 18 August 2017

Bridge of Orchy mountain day...

Yesterday (August 17th 2017) I managed to get out in to the highlands and tick another two Munros from the list. I decided on Bridge of Orchy to climb Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh.

Early view of the 2 Munros...
I cycled up to Helensburgh upper train station and caught the 06:30 train and arrived at Bridge of Orchy at 08:20. By 08:25 I was on the walk in and making quick progress up the Coire An Dothaidh arriving at the cairn on the bealach between the two Munros an hour after setting off.

Wanting to maintain the pace I headed off due South along the Am Fiaclach ridge arriving on the summit of Bein Dorain at roughly 10:15. Once at the cairn the rain had not persisted so I about turned and ran most of the way down to the Bealach for a quick drink break. Whilst at the bealach I met a Swedish couple and spent a few minutes discussing cycling routes in Sweden and Denmark. Future trip perhaps...

I left the bealach at 10:45 and moved quickly up and through the uneventful coire reidh arriving on the summit of Beinn an Dothaidh at 11:18. I spent 5 minutes on the summit having a quick drink and inhaled a sandwich before heading off again. I ran most of the way down to the bealach before descending back in to coire an dothaidh and arrived back at the train station at 12:22. Just less than 4 hours after departing.

Distance: 13km.
Munros - 2, Beinn Dorain and Beinn an Dothaidh.
Height gain: 1,100 metres.
Time: 4 hours.

Birds eye route profile...
Another good mountain day and hopefully not too long before the next...


No comments:

Post a Comment